At the foot of Ballycurry Hill about 5 miles north of Wicklow, Ballycurry came into the family with the Boswell marriage in 1766. The original home of the Boswells, of which there are two charming pencil sketches, was probably built in the reign of Queen Anne.
At the beginning of the 19th century it was replaced by a larger house - a solid, unpretentious, Georgian structure, which probably incorporated parts of the old building. A hundred years later Col. C. G. Tottenham added a block on the N.E. corner, and at the same time made a new front avenue and lodge - some say in order to bring the house within the radius of free delivery of telegrams.
The former avenue (now the back avenue) opens on to the old coaching road from Rathdrum to Dublin, along which “Tottenham in his Boots” probably passed on his famous ride.
The house has a big hall and a large drawing-room, dining-room, and library on the ground floor, besides several smaller rooms, some of which have been converted into kitchen and offices, to replace the remote caverns in the basement which previously served those purposes.
Upstairs there are 10 bedrooms, but until about 1920 there were no bathrooms.
It stands in a walled Deer Park containing many fine trees, and there is a beautiful view to the west up the Devil's Glen, half of which belongs to the estate. Down the glen runs the Vartry River, and on the opposite side was the old Synge property of Glanmore Castle.
To the southwest rises Mt. Carrick (1280ft). The estate runs to some 1300 acres, of which about 600 are wooded. There is some good arable land and much fine timber. Far more attention is now being paid to both farming and forestry than was the case in the past.
Ballycurry has been in the Tottenham family for over 200 years. When Charles took over the ownership of the property in 1957, he introduced new and, at that time, advanced management techniques and proceeded to utilise the estate’s commercial values with the view to securing its future in the Tottenham family.
He initiated new and valuable foresty harvesting. Later with the help of his two sons Charles and Geoffry he managed it with the successful growth and implementation of forestry, livestock and fodder.
In 1984, BBC television used the home to produce the film “Time after Time” by Molly Keane.